Posted by: BumbleBee | 2009-05-04

I am 171cm tall and it took me 5 years to get my weight down to 59kgs through healthy eating and exercise and I have managed to maintain this for at least 1.5 years now but over the last month i have seemed to put on 2 kgs, I still follow a healthy diet and i am at gym or doing road races 6 times a week, why has this weight come back, is it because of all of the public holidays, eating out more etc....? Or what is it because i dont want to go on a crash diet and be back at square one again because i know that, that is the wrong approach.

Dear BumbleBee
When you weigh 59 kg your BMI = 20,2 and when you weigh 61 kg your BMI = 20,8, so the fact that your mass has increased by 2 kg, does not basically affect your slimness. Many people gain and lose up to 3 kg per day in the form of water. There are many factors that can cause temporary weight gain (hormonal changes, water retention, increased salt intake, stress that produces more cortisol hormone, certain medications, etc, etc,). The fact that your BMI is below the ideal for your height (for an ideal BMI of22 you would need to weigh 64 kg, gives you plenty of leeway. So don't worry, stick to your diet and your excellent exercise programme and you will lose those 2 kg again.