Question
Posted by: Robz | 2009-02-13

Confused

Hi There,

I am very concerned about my body changes.

I have been have pregnancy symptoms for about 2 weeks now mainly, nausea, frequently trips to the toilet, headaches, tender nipples plus light cramping on my lower abdomen. I have done a home pregnancy test on Sunday and wednesday and both have come out negative. My husband and I have been having unprotected sex for the last couple of weeks but I did have my period in Jan (It was a little short and very light) I have been having problems with my hormone level for a couple of months now. Last year Feb I had an ovarilian syst. I also started to notice brown and red blood stains on my underwear.

What do you think could be the problem? Could I be pregnant or could I have a hormone imbalance?

Please HELP, I' m very confused.

Dear Robz

The symptoms you described are not unusual when estrogen levels are extremely high and this is most likely due to ovulation failure or disorder. It is often accompanied by an ovarian cyst, which can be detected by ultrasound scan.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim