Posted by: Anon | 2009-01-26

Hi. Went to gynae and he said i have cysts on my ovaries (PCOS). What i am confused about is that my menstrual cycle is an extremely regular 26 day cycle. Did not yet do the blood test to see if im ovulating, progesterone level, glucose, thyroid. Is it possible to diagnose PCOS without these blood tests and have regular cycle? Dr has put me on provera from Wednesday then clomid. What are the chances of falling pregnant the 1st time on clomid? Is it possible to fall pregnant while on provera? Do i need to see fertility specialist instead of gynae? I am ttc 2nd time around. 1st time was natural conception ' unplanned' . Sorry for so many questions. Just realy puzzled. Thanx.

Dear Anon

It is possible to diagnose the condition of polycystic ovaries without a blood test and having regular cycles. Providing the sperm tests are normal and the fallopian tubes are patent then the chances of conception the first time on Clomid would be approximately 10-15%. And yes it possible to fall pregnant on Provera. Seeing your gynaecologist is fine. However, if you are having a fertility problem for a long period of time then I would suggest that you consult with your gynaecologist. Then he may then refer you to the appropriate fertility specialists.