Posted by: sunflower | 2009-01-27

conflict of interest?

I' ve been offered two contracts to do part time work at the same time. I live in a small town and work full time already. The one compacy with whom i would consider working full time has an advertising contract with my current company. the second person has offered me a contract from her consultancy but only on a contractual basis and has offered her services to the other company with whom I am willing to work fulltime.

If i ask the one company not to advertise with my current company but still work one day a month for the lady that offered her services to the other company I am considering working for would there be a conflict of interest?

I just want to do the right thing for myself and feel like my current job does not offer flexibility and stifles my creativity.

please advise...

Sounda AWFULLY complex --- maybe other readers with more experience in such issues can comment usefully. Do all the people and companies concerned know of your offers and potential jobs ? IS there someone within them with whom you could discuss this ? Because what may matter most is wheher any of them, especially your current employer, considers there to be conflict of interest, more than whether there is comflict according to some more abstract principles or rules.