Posted by: Concerned | 2008-12-18

Condom broke

Hi Doc,

I ' ve been on the pill for almost 2 years now &  have been sexually active with my boyfriend since March. We always use condoms. Last night, our condom broke for the 1st time and my bf' s semen was inside me. What I would like to know...I am on my second last inactive pill today and just feeling slightly paranoid regarding pregnancy. Do I have any reason to worry? I take my pill every day, same time...just want to be reassured that my pill will still work during the inactive phase. I plan to take my frst active one on the dot!

The Pill works thoroughout the cycle.

Posted by: R | 2008-12-18

You should wait for the docs reply, cause I dont have a clue... But this is what I think. Very unlikely that you would ovulate during inactive pills... You should be bleeding in this time (or just finished bleeding) ie your womb is cleaning itself from your last egg (ie unfertilized egg gets cleaned out). Only when you ovulate (about 2 weeks since the 1st day of your period is when you ovulate and can fall pregnant. Thats according to the book. In practice things can work out differently, but I should say you dont need to worry, chances are extremely small for you to fall pregnant (like 1% if that much!) All the best :-) R

Reply to R