Posted by: cel | 2009-03-17

Concussion / Unconciousness

Hello ..

Wow i' ve been through a terrible event with my partner.

I went to the bathroom to urinate on sunday night, during which he had blackout and fainted, falling back and hitting his head on the sink behind him, falling to the floor and hitting his head on the wall.

I heard the bang and ran to find him unconcious with his eyes open and squint, unmoving.

He remained that way for about 3 minutes before awaking. His head was bleeding and he was very confused. I rushed him to the hospital, they looked at him within an hour, did an " ECG"  for some reason, gave him pain killers and a nausea injection and let him go.

He is in a lot of pain, he hurt his neck and lower badly during his fall, and he is sleeping lots and lots.

I just want to know what you recommend, will it heal? And why did he go squint like that. I honestly keep on bursting in to tears when i see that picture of him like that in my head.

Dear Cel
Please take him to your GP for a second opinion, it sounds as if he has concussion and they should have taken x/rays of his neck. Sometimes people can develop a slow bleed inside the skull after such a fall, so watch out for symptoms like an unability to speak properly, weakness in an arm or a leg, or severe headache. These symptoms can only show up weeks after the fall but need urgent attention as it indicates increased pressure in the brain.