Question
Posted by: Jacqui | 2008/07/20

Concor as Prophylactic treatment

Hello
I' m not sure if this will help anyone - I know all migraine sufferers have unique circumstances.
I started experiencing debilitating migraines when I was pregnant with my first child at 20. And for the next 17 years, they ruled my life. Some months I would have none and then I would hit one a week - the worst lasting up to 4 days. They were utter agony and I experienced the auras, flashing lights, extreme pain and no position was comfortable so sleep was impossible without the help of pethidine. I tried dietary changes, excercise - i tried everything. Both my mother and father are migraine sufferers. By the time I reached 37, i was suicidal, depressed and completely desparate. I was having physio, acupuncture and had been through migril, maxalt etc.
Then a psychiatrist friend suggested I start taking Concor and I went on to a 0.25mg dose daily. That was three years ago. I still get the occasional headache, usually brought about by tension, but I have never had a migraine again. If I have to take this tablet for the rest of my life, it is worth it. However, I would like to know if there will be any long term side effects.
To all fellow sufferers, my heart goes out to you.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Jacqui,

Beta blockers are used as a headache preventive drug and are effective in some cases, so count your lucky stars.
There shouldn't be any long term side effects.