Question
Posted by: worried | 2011-09-19

concerta and other medication

Hi there doc. So worried.My son who is 7 is currently on Concerta 18mg.I might sound a bit paranoid, but it worries me if he gets ill and might need antibiotics, celestimine and whatever else. The fact that he is on Concerta, is already giving me sleepless nights. All those chemicals in his system???

When any other medication is prescribed to your son, you can consult your pharmacist regarding any interactions. Concerta has an information leaflet and I suggest that you study it carefully.

3
Posted by: worried | 2011-09-22

Sue and Lolla, thanks so much for this info.He is just so sensitive to medication and goes " Koekoe"  whenever he has to go onto meds. He is a very allergic child and has always got hayfever/sinus!!!! I dont know what to give him, as almost everything has got Ephedrine in or caffeine!!!! Celestimine drives him up the wall. I try the natural stuff as well! I just dont know - I guess I just dont want him to suffer. It just goes right through me!!!!Lolla, just as a matter of interest, why do you say not to take him off Concerta on the weekends?

Reply to worried
Posted by: Lolla | 2011-09-20

My daugther is on 36mg concerta, and i can tell you for sure the flu meds don''t interfere with concerta. I agree with Sue the pro''''s probably outweigh the cons. (Just remember, not to stop concerta over weekends.)

Reply to Lolla
Posted by: Sue | 2011-09-20

My daughter was put on Straterra (also for ADHD) at the age of 7. She went through the normal issues of flu, bronchitis etc etc and the flu meds dont interfere with the ADHD meds. If the Concerta is heping your child, stick with it. 18mg is pretty low dosage, and the pro''s probably outweigh the cons.

Reply to Sue