Question
Posted by: Elle | 2010-04-28

Concerns re bacterial infection

Good day,

I have been sufferering from what seems to be a recurrent vaginal infection with foul smelling discharge. Apart from it being worrysome it also is affecting my relationship as I''m always aware of the discharge and smell. It is not a constant thing, however no matter how ''clean'' I am with respect to personal hygiene, it seems to never go away permanently.

Currently I am not on a medical aid and therefore cannot afford to go to a gynea. I have ''googled'' terms I have read on medical forums, such as Trichomona and bacterial vaginitis etc which made me even more anxious.

Today I just decided to try a douche (diluted Savlon/Dettol) which I ''injected'' gently with a syringe to wash out my private parts. Afterwards I ''injected'' plain, unsweetened yoghurt and inserted a tampon. I suspect I actually made things worse by doing this, but I am really so desperate.

Kindly advise. I have tried over-the-counter vaginal cream (Candizole) to no avail.

Please help.
Elle

Dettol should definitely not be used. Unfortunately you will need to see a doctor to make a diagnosis as the treatment will depend on what type of infection it is.

8
Posted by: Elle | 2010-04-29

Angel - thank you for your advice. I have made an appointment with a gynea to remove the Mirena and will have everything checked out whilst there. Bit long to wait but at least I know I have an appointment.
PS - sorry to hear about your miscarriage etc.

Reply to Elle
Posted by: Angel | 2010-04-29

Hi Elle

I had the Mirena in as well and mine had to be taken out I had an infection as well but when I did went to the gynie they had to take it out. It caust a big cyst on my left ovary and after I got meds and fell pregnant I was in major pain again I went to a different gynie and at that point I have lost my baby and under went sterelization. If I were you I will phone a gynie let him know that you are not on medical aid what will there fees be and you can also arrange with them to pay it off. This is what I am doing at the moment. Good luck.

Reply to Angel
Posted by: Elle | 2010-04-29

Mandi and S - thank you for your replies. Must say after the douche and yoghurt treatment of yesterday it seems better but I know the underlying problem is still there and I basically just treated symptoms. Will take your advice.
Just wondering though - I had a Mirena fitted 5 years ago (expired early April 2010) but I have not had it removed yet. My GP (when I was still working) said it''s ok to keep it in but the gynea who inserted it back in 2005 said it should come out when the time is ''up''.
Wondering if my problem does not have something to do with this foreign object lodged in my body which is actually no longer needed/active?

Reply to Elle
Posted by: s | 2010-04-29

oh yes and you can also do pap smears at family planning clinics which are free somethimes

Reply to s
Posted by: s | 2010-04-29

hey there what you have sounds like what i have bacterial vaginosis - you need an anti biotic and try metrogel for a week - i think it is available over the counter - insert for 5 days it should clear it up

Reply to s
Posted by: mandi | 2010-04-29

i also dont have medical aid but went to the gynae after my papsmeer results showed abnormal cells at the GP. they ask you more if you have medical aid, if you dont, they give discount, thats what i think, becaus ewhen i phoned and asked how much is concultation they gave a higher amount as what i paid, so just find out, but its always better to go to your gynae, you will also then feel better and less stressed

Reply to mandi
Posted by: Elle | 2010-04-28

A - thanks for your advice.

As mentioned though in my first posting - I currently am unemployed (between jobs rather) and have no medical aid which makes going to the gynea a very expensive excercise and I currently cant do that.

I will however try find a way to make a plan as this problem is all consuming at the moment.

Elle

Reply to Elle
Posted by: A | 2010-04-28

Hi Elle. Please go to your gynae. You might not have a common infection like most women, like I myself have just had. I had what''s called klebsiella pneumonia (my gynae did a swob). I had to go to his rooms everyday for 5 days for medication to be given to me through an IV (can you believe it?) as this is a bacterial infection and no oral antibiotic will clear it up. I recently had a swob done to see if it has cleared up, and it has, but now i have an e-coli type of infection and have to have penicillin for 10 days. It''s like never ending. I think a swob done by your gynae is the only way to sort out these problems. all the best.

Reply to A