Question
Posted by: ven | 2008/10/21

Concerns

I exercise at least 4 times a week, sometimes 5 times a week for about 60 min. Can physical exercise cause infertility on woman? How much exercise is good for a woman per day and per week? What kinds of exercises are good for a woman? Does exercising while you are menstruating have any effects?

Hi Ven

it can, but not at those levels. In the elite athletes, who also tend to have very specific diet issues and often tend to be under-nourished, there is evidence of problems with menstrual function. These are however reversible, and go away as soon as the energy balance is restored. So exercise is not by itself a cause of infertility and definitely not at the levels most of us will ever do it - we're talking 20 hours a week or more of training might cause problems, not 5. So the simple answer to your question is anything - any exercise is good, provided you do it often enough (5 days a week) and for long enough 45 to 60 minutes is ideal). So therefore, you're on the right track, and if you are having major problems with conceiving, then I'd suggest you see a fertility specialist and discuss other concerns and factors.