Question
Posted by: sharns | 2009/11/09

Concerned friend

Hey there, my friend is 19 years old and is a sufferer of anorexia nervosa, she has mild characteristics of obsessive compulsive disorder and depression which is not severe but definately there.She has been seeing things for 5 years now, I have questioned this but she is definately affected by this. She calls them her people and they dont move but she lives with this every day. She is stressed for exams so I am thinking its that but last night she almost had a car accident because she got a fright from seeing her " person"  next to her.Is this pschizophrenia, what do I do? Can it be real? So confused as to what is happening here.She is seeing someone but she wont tell anybody but me...

Diagnosis is often not easy, and there is something obsessive about being anorexic, while an overlap with depression isn't uncommon. But seeing things that aren't there, seeing people, is unusual and not typical of any of these conditions. This could be various types of psychotic illness, including posibly schizophrenia, but there are other possibilities, too. What is really needed is for her to see a good psychiatrist for a thorough assessment and a proper diagnosis.
I don't know what you mean by "seeing someone", and maybe you don't know either. She needs to see a psychiatrist and to frankly tell him about the things she sees, etc, so even if she is actually seeing a shrink, if she hasn't told them about the hallucinations, they may not recopgnize all that could be happening.

1