Posted by: mmamy | 2010-02-25

Concerned about nephew

Nephew, 19, whose mom died when he was 2 has dropped out of school at grade 11 2 years ago, lost weight, sleeps too much, lost interest in himself, self pity and feels neglected even though as a family we are providing everything we can, He cant take charge of his life and is indecisive of his future. Your advices and referral will be appreciated.

Expert ImageTeen expert

Hi there,

It sounds as if he is depressed and I would recommend that he has an assessment with a psychiatrist, and also psychotherapy.

I am not sure where you are in South Africa, a good place to start is to ask your family doctor for a recommendation for a psychiatrist and a therapist who specialise in working with young people.

He needs help as by withdrawing depression gets worse.