Posted by: Olivia | 2012-11-05

Is too slices of bread too much for one meal , i often have a sandwhich with Tuna and salad ( but no mayo i add a pickled onion an sugar free chutney , i norm have a half a tin) and then a side salad ( quiet big one but no dressing , avo or anything , lettuce , tomatoe , cucumber , carrot beetroot ( limit this to 60g between the both) is this too much carbs for one meal

Dear Olivia
You can certainly eat 2 slices of bread with the tuna and the salad vegetables. I don't know why the idea that carbs must be restricted at all costs, is so popular. Provided you eat healthy high-fibre, low-fat and low-GI carbs (e.g. low-GI or seed or rye bread, or ProVita or cooked sweet potatoes or samp or quinoa), you will not stimulate excess insulin release or blood sugar levels. We need carbs as fuel for our physical activities and to keep our brains functioning.
Enjoy your healthy lunch

Posted by: Kim | 2012-11-07

I am so glad to hear that! I miss bread and pasta so much, but i guess it might be that i loved it too much, maybe its a blessing.

I hope you do fabolous in you diet, i have 25kg to go after gaining 60kg during 2 years due to my thyroid.

Best Wishes :)

Reply to Kim
Posted by: Olivia | 2012-11-06

Thanks for all the details kim kelly , but i only eat low gi bread and no simple carbs.
I have no mayo at all ,
my chutney is light its 15kj per serving and i have less then a serving .
My tune on the tin says 384kj per 100g
my beetroot is fresh raw beetroot.
I pickle my own onion with no sugar .
I have no wheat or gluten intolerance at all
.i tried the no carb thing and had no weight loss success now i eat balanced meals and have had similiar results to you :) i fund simple carbds are a no go. I also have underactive thyroid and thats why i was concerned

Reply to Olivia
Posted by: Kim-Kelly | 2012-11-05

hello :)

it has a very good balance, and depending on the bread you are eating it can be very high in carbs.

A typical woman looking to lose weight should have no more than 1400 calories per day approx. If i calculate your meal on basic calculations it would be as follows:

2 slices of bread - 200kcal
mayo 15g - 80kcal (less if you use light mayo)
tuna 60g - 60kcal
chutney - 30kcal
one large salad, just greens - 100
betroot regular 15g - 50kcal (less if you use low sugar beetroot)
1 pickled onion - 20

that brings your total to = 540kcal for just one meal.

Most pickled things including betroot are very high in sugar as thats one of the main ingridients to preserve it.

I would eat this meal with light mayo, no betroot or chutney and on rye bread as it has no wheat which is a MAJOR weight gainer.

I suffer from an underactive thyroid so i have studied all kinds of foods and their info.

Almost all people are gluten and wheat intollerant, if you suffer from headaches or unexplained ailments its prob. That your intollerant. Google it, iv cut it out my life and just doing that lost 10kg! - just some usless info :)

i hope this helps.

Reply to Kim-Kelly