Question
Posted by: Rileigh | 2010-12-08

Concerned

Hi doc, please help.

For the last 8 months i have not had my period. It just stopped for no reason. i went to my gynae and did some tests but no reason can be found for this. she put me on some hexal tabs for 10days and said i should get a bleed, but i never did. Im on no medication - i used to be on ovral contraceptive, but also stopped that 3months ago to see if my period will come back, but it still hasnt.

Can i still fall pregnant? I am not trying to conceive or anything, but seeing that i left the pill, should i go back onto the pill?

I am 34 years old. No illnesses or anything like that. No stress nothing - i dont see what could have cause me to loose my period - ITS JUST GONE!!!

Before just going back on the Pill, you need to find out what the problem is. You don't say what tests were done, but you should go back to your gynae and check if you have had thyroid function and prolactin tests and also all the hormonal tests. The next step if these are all normal would probably be a hysteroscopy. Anorexia and chronic illnesses like TB can also cause periods to stop.

3
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-12-11

Posted by: Rileigh | 2010-12-08

SLIPPERS - thanx for your response. my gynae did a internal check and said she can see nothing wrong - no cysts or anything. I see her again in Jan 2011.

DOC - WOULD STILL LIKE TO HEAR FROM YOU

Reply to Rileigh
Posted by: Slippers | 2010-12-08

Hi Rileigh

The same happens to me, but only if I go off the pill - the Gynae told me I wasn''t ovulating naturally, so also went on meds to force a period, but mine did come.
I would go back to the Gynae if I were you - I''m certainly no expert, but I was told that no period means that you are not ovulating properly, or could even have polycistic ovaries, which means you would battle to fall pregnant. Please don''t take this as gospel - speak to your Doctor.

Reply to Slippers