Question
Posted by: colleague | 2010/09/22

concerned

I am concerned about a colleague. I think she has an eating problem. I know she binges but has stopped for a while. However, she told me that all of a sudden she can''t face the thought of food (she''s overweight) and when she eats, she has started to throw up but she only throws up once. She says it is not a real purge because it is only once. She just feels a great sense of relief when she does this (even if it is only a little liquid and not food). Today she had a salad but felt so uncomfortable after eating it, she went to try to purge. In her eyes she feels she is doing no harm. Is she correct? I just don''t think this is normal.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hello "colleague"
Your colleague certainly has a problem. For one thing, is your colleague sharing this information with you voluntarily? There is no such thing as a "not real purge", and your colleague is clearly trying to communicate to you that she is struggling. Remember, this is not your problem to resolve. Be supportive, but the best thing you can do is encourage your colleague to seek some professional help.
Regards,
Graham

1
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/09/25

Hello "colleague"
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert