Question
Posted by: JO-ANNE | 2010/09/06

Concerned

Hi There.

My ex and I have joint custody of the child who is 8 years old, it has been this way for the past 5 years. We signed an agreement that we both are financially responsible for the child (50-50). There was a time that my ex could not pay, i suggested that I will pay which for me would be via default anyways since he couldnt contribute. We didnt take this agreement to court but he says it was a verbal agreement, I have been paying now for EVERYTHING for about 4 years. Does this mean that the joint agreement is now waived?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

No, it does not been that the joint agreement was waived and you will in addition have a right to claim the additional payments that you made from him. I will approach the Maintenance Court if I was you.

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/09/09

Bertus Preller
Family Law Attorney
Abrahams and Gross Inc.
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert