Posted by: Parrot Concern | 2009-05-20

I have heard that having a parrot while you are pregnant can be harmfull to the baby. Apparently it is the dust in their feathers that can cause a women to miscarrage. My parrot is only two years old and he is like a baby to me, I don' t want to give him away but don' t want to loose my baby because of him. Please give some advise, and is there anything I can do to prevent the dust on his feathers.?

Dear Parrot Concern

New info to me but if you want to be water tight phone your GP.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-05-20

It IS hogwash. It' s amazing how these stupid stories emerge.

Years ago, parrots got a bad press because of a disease called psittacosis, which is transferable to humans - which MAY cause serious illness - but this has nothing to do with pregnancy as such. Birds which carry this normally are sick with symptoms themselves.

It' s generally wise to be a bit careful about breathing in the dust from the droppings of birds - I always make sure I' m upwind when I scrape down my bird' s perch, and I wash his dishes and cage with a special brush which is used only for that purpose.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Carol | 2009-05-20

Sounds like total hogwash to me....never heard of it and I have a lot to do with parrots :)

I presume you have a grey ? they are very dusty and their isnt much you can do except regular baths .

Reply to Carol