Posted by: M S | 2010-05-29

Conception after husband has radioactive iodine treatment for thyroid

How long should we wait before trying to conceive after my husband has been treated with radioactive iodine for an over-active thyroid gland?
He received one dose two months ago.
At the time, we were pregnant but suffered a miscarriage recently. I am turning 39 in October and am worried that the odds of birth defects at this age outweigh the theoretical sperm damage that his treatment may have caused - our specialist has advised a twelve-month wait before trying again. I have researched on the internet and have found the majority of sites say a minimum of two months, six months is fine, but wait a year if it''s the female partner who underwent treatment.

I can't really add any more to what you hve already found.