Question
Posted by: Sam | 2010/08/16

Conception after cancer treatment

Good day Doc

Thank you for the response on the sperm production question.

Please advise on the real dangers around conception too soon after cancer treatment is completed,there seems to be no informtation/stats/facts on this online just possible birth defects but no states on real cases.

Sam

Dear Sam

I am not sure if any research has been done about the real dangers of conception to too soon after cancer treatment has been completed, however my assumption would be that due to the fact that cancer therapy can effect the rapidly dividing cells and therefore the chromosomal content of the sperm cells and if conception does occur there is a risk of a chromosomally abnormal embryo may result and therefore the risk of miscarriages would be higher. In addition chromosomal abnormal embryos may also have difficulty in implanting and therefore a success rate of achieving a pregnancy would therefore be lower. I am not entirely sure what period of time would be adequate to wait for trying to achieve conception after cancer treatment is completed but I would guess an period of between 6 moths to a year would be adequate time to allow for your body to return to normal and to then start thinking about conceiving.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2010/08/23

Dear Sam

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo

Reply to Fertility expert