Question
Posted by: Tony | 2012-12-12

Concentration and memory

Good day

I was reading up what speech therapists actually do and saw somethng that caught my eye about cognitive/language deficits which mentioned skills that could be impaired short/long term memory, problem solving, reasoning, ability to answer questions appropriately and aphasia.
Most of these impairments relates to me although I''m " normal"  and healthy. I''ve always battled with concentration especially when reading or studying my memory can be bad at times. Another symptom I have is when I spoke to the speech therapist, she mentioned the inability to differentiate between a specific sound when there was more than one sound at that time.
Is there anything you could recommend to do or medication to take as I will also be studying again soon ... I''m 35.

Thank you in advance

Tony

I suggest that you consult a neurologist for a MRI scan to determine if there is a reason for your symptoms. A MRI scan can be very spesific and the doctor will be able to look closely at all the areas that can impair your function, concentration, speech and hearing. It is possible that you could have had a stroke that affected these areas. It is very important for a neurological check-up and special tests.