Question
Posted by: Corne | 2010/11/16

Conceiving when having chicken pox

Plz be so kind to assist. I recently realised I have chicken pox at the age of 27. What are the chances that I could fall pregnant ?As the rash only appearred the day after my husband and I had unprotected sex we were unaware of the fact that I had chicken pox. If it so happens that I am pregnant what are the most common problems I could experience!??

Chickenpox would not stop you from falling pregnant. Primary chicken pox infection in the first trimester of pregnancy, especially weeks 8 to 12, carries a 2.2% risk of congenital varicella syndrome, a syndrome of birth defects in the infant. The most common manifestation of congenital varicella syndrome is scarring of the skin. Other abnormalities that can occur include a smaller than normal head, eye problems, low birth weight, small limbs, and mental retardation. However, it is unlikely that this would occur in your case as the pregnancy, if you are pregnant, would be very early.

1