Question
Posted by: Kel | 2009-03-30

Conceiving questions

Hello Doctor
Please can you help me with a few questions.
We are planning on extending our family and would really like to have a girl. I know there are no guarantees and a healthy baby is all that matters but there are so many " old wives tales"  around and I would just like to find out about two.
Firstly, is it true that a women who is " acidic"  is more likey to conceive a girl. Is there any truth in this and if so. how on earth do you make yourself acidic? Is it your diet?
Secondly if I try and use the " timing"  method can I use the ovulation discharge as a clue for when ovulation is happening and if so, when I see the discharge does this mean I have ovulated or will I be about to ovulate. My cycle is irregular so I won' t be able to go on days.
Thank you for your input.

No, there is no truth in the idea of being acidic.
Using the timing method, having sex 2 days before ovulation is supposed to give a better chance of a girl. When you see the ovulation discharge, it is already too late for this.