Posted by: G | 2008-11-27

Conceiving after the Mirena

I had the Mirena inserted about 3 years ago. I have a gynae appointment scheduled in Jan to have it taken out as we are ready to start a family.

Can we start trying immediately or is there a waiting period where we should use other forms of protection. My gynae never mentioned a waiting period but a friend' s gynae told her that she should wait 3 month before trying to conceive. If this is the case - what are the risks associated with falling pregnant within 3 months of having the Mirena taken out.

You can fall pregnant immediately. The only disadvanatage might be that your periods could be a bit irregular just after removal, so the dating of the pregnancy may be incorrect. This can be sorted out with a scan though.