Question
Posted by: E | 2012/01/16

Conceiving after stillbirth

My husband and I lost our little boy at 37 weeks pregnant. He had a knot in his umbilical cord. I had an emergency cesarean. It is now 3 weeks on (it happened on 19 December 2011). I stopped bleeding at 2 weeks. We have had sex quite a few times (without protection). Now on week 3 I''m bleeding again. My question is, can I fall pregnant now. Meaning in the two weeks that I did not bleed or must we wait until I have stopped completely. Then also, how long does it take after you have stopped bleeding from having a Cesarean to have your normal period again?

Dear E

Intermittent bleeding post cesarean section may continue for up to 6 weeks. It is not possible to conceive whilst bleeding, as the uterine (womb) lining is not conducive to implantation.

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Fertility expert | 2012/01/23

Dear E

Answered by: Dr M.I. Cassim

Reply to Fertility expert