Question
Posted by: Rob | 2013-02-07

Q.

Computer screen headache

Hi there,

When I work at the computer (LCD screen) for long, sometimes even short periods, I get a headache. I do not get the headache when I am on holidays away from the office and the constant looking at the screen. My internet research tells me that I am not alone in this situation and that it is potentially linked to the LCD screens I look at for hours at work. Apparently it is the inpercievable flashing of the pixels.

I have adjusted the brightness and contrast to a more comfortable level but still the headaches persist.

Please help!

Rob

Expert's Reply

A.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear Rob,

It is important to distinguish between the triggers and the underlying problem. If there is no underlying problem, then nothing will trigger a headache or a migraine, even the computer screen – so the way to deal with the headache is to diagnose and eliminate the underlying problem. To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary assessment”, which should include a neurological examination to rule out any serious underlying condition. There are so many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, that no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For instance, a neurologist will examine the brain and nervous system, a physiotherapist will look at the muscles, a dentist will examine the teeth etc. For this reason, the “multidisciplinary assessment” combines and integrates the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables the different members of the team to provide a co-ordinated treatment plan, so that all the contributing factors are addressed.

This assessment must include a thorough examination of the head and neck muscles to determine the presence of abnormal tension, and of the external carotid vasculature to determine whether there is an arterial element to the pain.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic (Cape Town, Durban, Johannesburg) on 0861 678 911.

1
user comments

C.

Posted by: wassja | 2013-03-12

It is due to the invisible backlight flicker of the LCD. Visit vasyafromukraine.webs.com to know more about it.

Reply to wassja

Want to comment?