Question
Posted by: Emma | 2010/06/02

Compulsiveness

Hi CyberShrink,
My problem is compulsiveness. I''m 35, a divorced single mom. I had anorexia in my late teens and recovered fairly well. I''m currently maintaining a weight that is at the bottom of my healthy range (which I find soothing) and exercising six times per week. I''m in a relationship that is recreationally fun, but emotionally unsatisfying. I should end it, but dread the isolation as I have no other support system to speak of. I take Molipaxin for depression. The problem I''m having is that my compulsive thoughts - generally about diet and exercise and about measuring &  checking myself - intrude constantly. I often lose big chunks of the working day like this. If it isn''t diet, then it is something else that my mind latches onto. And I think I can become really boring to be around with this single-mindedness. It''s exhausting! I genuinely can''t afford therapy, but the Molipaxin and exercise aren''t really helping this. Is there anything I can try to help me manage my runaway thoughts a bit better?
Emma

There can indeed be a degree of compulsive personality problems underlying anorexia. Have you explored SADAG as regards possible support ?
Sometimes obsessions and compulsions, even OCD ( obsessive-Compulsive Disorder ) are helped by different antidepressants - maybe you need to be reviewed by a good local shrink, and perhaps a different antidepressant would help both aspects of your problems.
From your description, it sounds as though the eating disorder habits and patterns are not far enough away from your current thinking, and maybe more attention to this is needed, such as CBT style counselling

1