Posted by: ANON. | 2009-03-25

Compulsive stealing

I am a little bit worried about a friend of mine. I' ve noticed that she has a tendency to steal things. eg. on a weekend away at a lodge with a whole group of friends I found her stealing a fork. She comes from a well-off family and has no financial reasons to why she would do this. I have also noticed that she steals other little things like apples etc. Also if you offer her something to eat she insists she is not hungry, but when I turn my back she is stuffing herself. I would never try confront her, she is an introvert. Is there a syndrome for this, what could be the cause?

This doesn;y sound like any particular syndrome, but needn't be one --- she sounds unhappy and should be persuaded to see a shrink for a proper assessment. Some depressed people steal little things to make them feel better. However rich or poor she was, she'd be unlikely to need an extra fork, but would be taking it more as a sort of trophy.