Question
Posted by: Compulsive | 2009-04-08

Compulsive smsing

When I get stressed,I develop the frightening behaviour of compulsive smsing.This would involve sending perhaps up to 30 sms' s(to one person) in an attempt to explain the stressful situation to them.If they don' t respond(and in my rational moment I know why they don' t!)I just send more.It' s as if I am watching myself doing the smsing,and I cant stop.Afterwards,my remorse is huge and the guilt of what I' ve done overwhelms me,and I apologise to the person concrned,profusely,but I am ruining relationships because of it(obviously!!).I hate this compulsion,and would like help in controlling this. The rest of the time I am totally " normal" , but when stress sets in,this awful behaviour kicks in.

Please help.

Sounds a bit like cyberstalking ! See a CBT therapist to (a) lear to avoid getting stressed whenever possible, and (b) to learn how to ope better with the stress when it nontheless arises. Meanwhile, when this starts, give your cellphone for someone else to mind for you, so you don't have the wherewithal to send SMS. Indeed, is the capaity to send SMS otherwise ( non-neurotically ) essential for you ? If not, why not block that capacity from your cell-phone ? And in emergency, talk directly to a living person ( using mouth and tongue, you know, the old-fashioned way ? ) --- then at least they're there to look glassy-eyhed or remind you that you're over-doing it

2
Posted by: lolly | 2009-04-08

You need to take a deep breath and calm down. Switch your phone off, or leave it in the car, just dont start smsing. Yes perhaps you can talk to someone when you are feeling like this. shame, must be bad but i think i know what you are saying.

Reply to lolly
Posted by: Purple | 2009-04-08

Is there anyone around you that you can talk to in that moment in person, a work colleague or friend?

Reply to Purple