Question
Posted by: Anonomous | 2010/09/29

Compulsive Skin Picking

Good day. I am a 31 years old female. I have had depression on and off for a couple of years now. I am taking 20mg cilift daily as well as metformin and statins for metabolic disorder. For about 2 years however i have been picking at my pimples compulsively. It usually relaxes me, then makes me feel guilty and disgusted afterward. It hurts and leaves ugly scars as i pick at my breasts as well. I have been to many therapists over the years and the most recent one suggested i repeat affirmations to myself to stop picking, it has not helped at all and i no longer see that particular therapist. I have read up on dermitilomania which seems to explain my symptoms yet do not know what kind of therepy i might try. The most recent therapist has told me that repetitive affirmations is CBT. From what i have read this cannot be CBT.Please help as i reallly want to learn to relax without doing this, can you please recommend a therapist in Cape Town who specialises in the type of therapy i may need,

This is a well-recognized problem, and fortunately it does respond to proper treatment. But what would be likely to work would be something like CBT ( cognitive-behavour Therapy ) rather than affirmations, which may be helpful as a part of CBT or some such larger technique, but not particularly useful on their own. On their own they are absolutely NOT, EVER, CBT.
This is related to obsessive-Compulsive disorder and to self-mutilation.
Unfortunately there is as yet no reliable national listing of which shrinks practice where and who provide modern and effective methods like CBT. The Anxiety-Depression Support Group ( number on this page ) has prepared some lists of some such shrinks on their webb-page and available also to those who call them. And maybe the department of psychology or psychiatry at UCT or Stellenbosch might be able to recommend someone with this important skill

2
Posted by: Marina | 2010/09/29

Don''t touch UCT - all the psychoanalysts hang out there!

Reply to Marina