Posted by: Anonomous | 2009-10-02

compulsive skin picking

I have written to cybershrink previously about my compulsion to scratch, pick and open pimples until it bleeds and i can see pus.My latest body area is my breast. I am on an antidepressant and am going to see a cognitive therapist tommorow. I would like to know from a health perspective whether i can get breast cancer or any other infections from the picking i have already subjected my breast to. It is paining, red and swollen. I would really just like to know what can happen to my breast from a medical perspective. Thank you

You will not get cancer but you can get a severe cellulitis and a subsequent abscess of the breast. Consult your doctor to treat you for the skin infection, as you do not want complications.