Question
Posted by: Pink | 2010/03/15

compulsive Lying

Hi Doc and forum users,

I have a family of compulsive liars and it is frustrating me so much.

My parents and 3 brothers just lie all the time. I never know who to trust. My parents always tell little lies. First they bought a new car. I asked about if they had found a car they liked and was told that they are still looking and haven''t found anything they can afford. But little did I know that a brand new mercedes was parked in their garage. This was last month.

Last year my mum and brothers went on a 2 week holiday and went with a lot of spending money ( about USD20000). My mum said they had so little money and couldn''t buy much and that is why they couldn''t bring back anything for my hubby, kid and I. She has a tendency to hide things and when she uses her gold jewellery and clothes, will claim they are old or she got them from some cheap shop.

My brother found a girlfriend on campus this yr. My parents made him break up with this girl. My brother tells me that my parents feel that the girl is a gold digger. My mum says she is controlling and my brother always tells her everything. She always wants to see my brother over the weekends, etc. My mother says that my brother said he is sick of this girl always worrying him.

Then my parents won a large sum of money and they told my brother not to tell anyone. They have this phobia that people are always jealous of them and will do black magic, etc. My brother told his girl friend, who in turn told me. My mum told the girl friend that my brother made it all up. But then she told the girl friend that she didn''t want me to know as I keep pestering them for money.

I am so ticked off. I live in a different city and don''t ask for anything. I have my own family and life. a few yrs ago my dad bought us a car as a present. We didn''t want him to, he chose to. Now i hear that I forced them to buy it. Apparently he also bought us a house.

Another brother came to stay with me this yr and he also lies. He is so convincing when he lies and will swear on heaven and earth the he is telling the truth. He really lies with a straight face.

CS, what does one do with a family of sickos like this? My kid goes to them for holidays, I don''t even want to send her there anymore. She is a good child.

Doc please advise.

Maybe they are indeed pathological liars, who have no interest in the truth and lie even when its of no advanrage to them or they're bound to be found out. Or they could be lying on a larger scale, not at all limited to you, to cover up something, like ill-gotten gains. I wonder if the Tax man is aware of all the momney and riches they apparently have ? I wonder what they'd say i he was tipped off to investigate them ?
How can they complain that the girl is a gold digger, while insisting that they have no gold to dig for ?
Why not just limit your contact with them as far as possible, and refuse to take their games seriously ?

3
Posted by: Pink | 2010/03/16

Thank you CS &  Alison.

Reply to Pink
Posted by: alison | 2010/03/15

i''d give yourself some space from them. even if they are your family you deserve to surround yourself with honest, reliable, trustworthy human beings.
xo

Reply to alison