Question
Posted by: ME | 2010/01/26

Compulsive gambling

My husband is a compulsive gambler. He gambles for more than 25 years. He has an impulse controle disorder. He cannot work with money because everytime he receives money he will just gamble it away it does not matter whose money it is. He went to numerous psychologists and rehab centres but nothing helps. His condition is so severe that me and the children are sick and on antidepressants. He is not even like a child.He can' d do anything for himself like buying food or clothes.

He is also unemployed for more than 15 years so he uses other peoples money to gamble. If we have money in our house he will walk up and down like someone who is mad. Sometimes people send him to run some errands because he is not working than he will use that persons money to gamble. He do it now for more than 25 years. I am sick now with high bloodpressure. Is there any treatment for him. He is not even like a child because you can give a child money to buy something but you cannot give him money,he will just gamble it away. I am desperate and on the verge of collapsing after all these years. I am the sole provider of the family for all thees years and things getting to much for me. I dont know where to go for help. I went to the social worker and she advised me to get a protection order against him . I also ask his immediate family to help but they are not interested.

Supposedly sponsored by the casinos, and advertised with contact details at all of them, there are programmes for compulsive gamblers, which can help. So could a good Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ( CBT ) therapist. Also, it should be possible on discussing the problem with each othe casinos he uses, to have him banned from them, and then security guards will not allow him in and will throw him out if he sneaks in.
If he is gambling not in casinos but with local unofficial gambling guys, surely they are smart enough not to accept his money ? They may need to be told that he is about to be investigated for theft of the moeny he gives them, so it would be to their advantage to refuse to take any bets from him.
If he gambles with other people's money, well, if it is with their knowledge and permission, they're fools, and if it is without their consent, that's theft and fraud. and the police should become involved. And he should be charged and punished for theft - and maybe he can get some treatment for his bad behaviour while in jail or while on probation.
Don't ever give him any money - as you say, he cannot be trusted with it.
His own family have perhaps been hurt by him earlier, and are not delighted to see this as your problem. YOu could get a protection order to keep him out of your home, if that is what you want, and you could divorce him and leave him to his own devices - you'd need legal advice about this, and the local magistrate's court might be able to help.

1