Posted by: Suzi | 2009-02-24

Compulsive eating

I am breaking the chain of compulsive eating, I eat just because I can and not for survival reasons. I am however trying my best to only eat 3 meals and 2 snack (just fruit).

I need some advice and guidance, can you recommend any literature or books or even websites?

Dear Suzi
You are already on the right track if you are exercising some restraint and limiting your food intake to 3 meals a day plus 2 snacks in the form of fruit. If you find that you cannot prevent the compulsion to eat then you may have an underlying condition such as a hormonal imbalance or diabetes. Do consider having a medical checkup just to see if there is a physical reason for your overeating (e.g. hypoglycaemia, insulin resistance, etc). If you are given a clean bill of health then you must ask yourself if your urge to eat has psychological components - eating for comfort, eating for reassurance, etc. If this should be the case then you actually need to have some psychotherapy with a clinical psychologist (ask your gp to refer you). The psychologist will assist you to determine why you are eating all the time and why you turn to food as a solution and then teach you less destructive coping skills. In some cases understanding what is driving you to overeat can already break the chain and motivate you to eat normally.
Do go for professional assistance

Posted by: Emma | 2009-02-24

I will be interested in Doc' s reply. I eat when I am bored and not just hungry. Also I am finding it more and more difficult to afford the right food eg fruit and vegies, so I eat a lot of carbs.

Reply to Emma