Question
Posted by: anonymous | 2010/05/01

complicated

My niece (16)has been staying with my parents almost all her life. I also stay with them. My father passed away and my mother wants to sell the house. I need to find a place to stay for myself, my son and my niece. Her parents do not make any financial contributions (they are divorced). I have to now take care of her and all her needs. Is there anyway that the parents can be legally made to assist monthly? Please advise what to do.

Expert ImageFamily law expert

Both parents of your niece are obliged to contibute to her maintenance. I would suggest that you visit your local Maintenance Court with the child in order to lay a claim for maintenance. The maintenance officer will assist you in the process.

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

1
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/05/01

Bertus Preller
www.divorceattorney.co.za
bertus@divorceattorney.co.za

Reply to family law expert