Question
Posted by: manz | 2012-04-20

complex sleep problems

I have complex sleep issues - I work in an office say 08:30 - 17:30 , I commute 4 hours each day - but work from home once / twice a week. I stay in a Hotel overnight once a week. I have a technical and challenging job - but not physical.

I need 8.5 hours sleep , less than 7.5 makes me ill. When I have not slept (both failing to fall a sleep or waking up in the night or too early eg:05:30) I feel sick (nausea), tired , diuretic, out of control bowels routine, metallic taste. Lack of concentration / motivation etc... I have tried OTC stuff -anti histamines , Night Nurse etc... but get a reaction to them and feel ill the following day, that can take 2-3 days to wear off. I have tried Z medicines and anti-depressants in low dose before but again feel like a zombie for days so have avoided them. I have low irritation / disturbance / anxiety threshold. I have tried to manage sleep hygiene and try virtual sleep when I cant sleep. I also avoid tea / coffee after 13:00

Is there any medication I can take to manage the symptoms to get though the day until it is sleep time

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Needing that amount of sleep sounds way too long - it suggests you may have something interfering with the quality of your sleep. Medication is almost certainly not going to be the answer.

I suggest you get to see a sleep doctor about this.