Question
Posted by: Curious | 2009-08-18

Complete Energy meal

Dear Diet Doc
My digestive system is extremely sensitive and I get cramps and diarrhoea from almost anything.
I found this complete energy meal that contains all kins of wonderful things like protein, amino acids, vitamins and minerals, plant sterols en sterolins, prebiotocs ect.
It agrees with me wonderfully and at last I can eat something that makes me feel good.
What my concern is is that it contains soy protein.
What are the dangers in consuming soy for women?
And for men? I read that soy has an estrogenic effect?
Should my husband avoid this product? Should I, a woman in my thirties, avoid it?
Your kind advice will be appreciated.
Kind regards

Dear Curious
I am glad to hear that you have found a product that you can use in view of your sensitive digestion. There is some evidence that soy has an oestrogen effect. If you click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and do search for an article I wrote this year on "DO SOY FOODS CAUSE INFERTILITY?", then you will see what the general consensus is at the moment. If you use this product as part of a balanced diet and don't start living off it exclusively, then there should not be a problem. In women excessive intakes of soy foods may pose a danger in regard to women who have a personal or a family history of oestrogen-sensitive breast cancer. In males there seems to be a risk of infertility. Moderate intakes of soy and other legumes are, however, beneficial health-wise. It is all a matter of balance and moderation.