Posted by: Cyclist | 2011-05-23

Competition killer instinct

Hi there,

I have been off road cycling for about 5 years. 22 years of provincial squash before that. I find lately that my competative streak isnt quite there anymore. I want to continue racing and being competative, but lacking that inner fire to improve which i know i can. Is this laziness, aging, or stress? how can i get that drive back. Love the sport and want to get mean and lean. Im 37.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Hi Cyclist
At 37 one can hardly blame your age. What was it that evoked your joy for the sport in the past? Was it the challenge of something new or knowing beyond a doubt that you could win of you wanted to? Sometimes all it takes is getting a new training partner or setting yourself a challenge that is worth working towards, such as The Epic. Competitive types aren't inspired by mediocre, day to day routine, sometimes you need a challenge that will literally kick your butt. Have a goal, a training program and make your intentions known to everyone who will support you. If this doesn't work, perhaps it is time to find a new sport?