Question
Posted by: Me | 2011-03-14

Company going down

HI There
Is it wrong to look for othe employement if the company i work for seems to be going down and about to close? Will it be wrong if they find out that i sometimes take days off to go for interviews? They wont allow us to be off during the week while there is no work to do anymore and half of the staff have retrenched there is no way forward the only way is to go and look else where...

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: company going down

It is not wrong for anyone to seek alternative employment

4
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011-03-25

re: company going down

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Casey | 2011-03-18

As far as I know, they are not allowed to do that. If they know they can''t pay you, they then need to allow you to take time to go for interviews as there is no work for you to do.

Reply to Casey
Posted by: Me | 2011-03-16

I am looking but the problem arise when i have to go for an interview, my bosses wont allow us to take an off or to be late or leave early on a day. its so hard, and what they do with other employees is not fair at all. You know theyd just call you during the day and tell you to go home as there is not enough work for you and say they will phone you...just imaginen,and thats it! and they tell you that, you are not fired, retrenched or anything you just bein put on shortime(without pay).Just because they dont want to pay all the monies they supose pay when an employee leaves then the rather put you on short time...

Reply to Me
Posted by: Casey | 2011-03-15

It is not wrong to look out for other employment when it looks like the company will be closing. It is better for you to start looking for something else.

Reply to Casey