Posted by: Nana | 2011-02-23

Company forces staff to speak english

I work for a big company which has this rule of the staff having to speak english, any african language is called FOREIGN LANGUAGE. when assisting a customer that can''t speak english you need to ask a permision from a supervisor to speak a foreign language. If you speak the FOREIGN LANGUAGE you get 6months written warningng imediately, and the second offence leads to dismisal. Is this allowed on labour law? Lots of my coleags have been so stressed having to go for hearings and geting 6mnths for that including myself.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Companies can have their internal rules and regulations but I do not believe this warrants a written warning unless it is being rude to a customer.

Posted by: Boetie | 2011-03-05

What ever happened to the terms of rainbow nation, freedom of speech, non-sexist non-racial, non-discrimination society that Nelson Mandela worked so hard for? Although I''m English speaking + English is the international business language I have respect 4 my fellow men''s home language. Sen. management at your co. show a distinct disrespect for other languages + this is nothing more than discrimination. While it might be co. policy to do business in English I can''t see how U can get fired for speaking another language. This certainly does not fit in with new S.A. Time that bunch of morons - Sen. management came right + learnt to respect other people''s rights as well.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: Quti | 2011-03-03

My company does this as well and I totally agree with this. We are all different cultures here speaking Afrikaans, Zulu, Hindi, Norwegian, German and more.
English is the universal language and the way we can ALL understand each other. That is the way it should be (I am not a native English speaker)

Reply to Quti
Posted by: justasking | 2011-02-28

What about using " loan words"  i.e. non-English words that have become part of the English language? e.g. " cabinet legkotla" , " au fait" , " modus operandi" , " ennui"  etc :)

Reply to justasking