Posted by: babes | 2008-12-11

common law wife!!

anybody out there know if there is such law, know any lawyers one can go to that would take on a case like this.

been in a common law situation for the past 9 years and he cheats and lies so much that I have had it.Can I claim anything from him, can I remove gifts bought for me, anyone?PLEASE HELP

The situation isn't uncommon, so I'd think most lawyers should be able to help with such a problem, unless they are highly specialized in something else. I'm sure you must have some rights after all this time, and seem to remember some reasonably recent change in the law to clarify this. There may be a free law clinic at your nearest university's Law School

Posted by: CJT | 2008-12-12

Sorry DNS you are very wrong, Unfortunately in South Africa there is no such thing as common law wife, Search for it in Google South africa and you will see.

I am in a similar situation and have discovered that you wont get a thing

Reply to CJT
Posted by: DNs | 2008-12-11

Common law marriages now have the same recognition as civil marriages. You can get a divorce through the courts. And if you and your husband didn' t sign an agreement on your assets, then you are automatically married in IN COMMUNITY OF PROPERTY. So not only can you take your gifts, but you can have half of everything you share e.g house, car, etc

Reply to DNs