Question
Posted by: Devistated | 2010/06/21

Common law

I''d like to know/understand what my rights are, if any, in a case where my daughter and I have been staying with my boyfriend for almost 4yrs. I''ve recently found out that he''s cheating on me.The relationship started going bad,but I always hadthe hopes that we''ll patch thingz up. One evening,abt 2mnths ago, I came home from work, to find an empty apartment. He took every piece of furniture except for my daughter''s single bed, our clothes and some other lose stuff. His argument was that he took everything that he had bought. Is this fair , since I gave him a monthly contribution as well as buy the grocery? He now even changed the locks to the apartment whereas we have a joint-lease . I feel so betrayed. What can I do?

Expert ImageFamily law expert

You do not share the same rights as married couples no matter how long you've been together. Even though both your estates may be entangled you have no legal or financial obligations to one another should you separate. The law does however recognise what it calls universal partnerships, where, if you can prove you contributed towards helping him grow his assets, you have a claim.

It is difficult to prove a claim in such a partnership without an agreement in writing.

Best is to consult an attorney.

2
Posted by: Amanda | 2010/06/28

Seems like its better to be rid of him if he is this type of man!! I was with my previous boyfriend for 7 years and unlucky for me he persuaded me to jointly invest in property with him, that Im now struggeling to get rid of because he wants to be difficult. So I think your situation, although not easy, could have been much more difficult. Write it off as a bad experience and start fresh! Good luck!!!

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: family law expert | 2010/06/21

Best is to consult an attorney.

Reply to family law expert