Question
Posted by: lulu | 2011/06/04

common denominator

Dear Dr, please can you tell me what the common denominator is between wheat products (especially bread - any type) and chocolate, the reason why I ask is when I have either or sometimes both in the day, I end up being extremely tired and sleep longer than a normal nap - I have tried to google it but ......feel like a real egghead here ......thanks, regards lulu

Dear Lulu
The common factor in wheat products like bread and chocolate is that these foods are carbohydrates. The breads and wheat products contain starch which is a carbohydrate and chocolate contains sugar which is a carbohydrate. If you react to carbohydrates by feeling tired and sleepy, then it may be a good idea to have a medical checkup and ask your doctor to test if you possibly have low blood sugar (hypoglycaemia), or insulin resistance. If this should be the case, then it is advisable to use a so-called low glycaemic index (GI) diet that keeps your blood sugar and insulin levels steady for longer. The low-GI diet can be difficult to apply at the beginning, so please consult a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), to guide you through the initial stages. Click on 'Diet’nFood' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet.

1

Dear Lulu