Posted by: jan | 2011-08-25

common cold 2

Is there any justification for saying : I caught the cold because I SAT OUTSIDE IN THE COLD, WALKED IN THE RAIN, WET HAIR, ETC ?The argument being : when you get wet/cold your immune-system does not function properly- it weakens- thus chances are more for getting the cold because the immune system cannot fight it.

Being cold or wet or after a walk in the rain, will not effect your immune system. The reason why you are more susceptible to catch a cold or flu after walking in the rain etc., is that inhaling the cold air causes vasoconstriction of the blood vessels in the nose and sinusses. This causes you to be more likely to catch a viral upper respiratory tract infection.