Posted by: Over_Worked_& _Underpaid | 2009-01-18

Commission Struct. Continuously Changing

I have been working for a huge JSE listed company for a little less than a year. I left my previous, 12 year job, for this position as a sales rep. The basic salary was less than half of what i was earning before, but the commission structure offer made up for that. Now, every second month it seems, our MD cuts our commission without any discussion and/or meetings in this regard. All of my colleagues are now looking for alternate employment aswell. Is what our MD is doing the correct way to go about doing these thing? Are there any laws in place to prevent such acts by management? We also do not receive annual increases - can the company get away with that? None of this was mentioned in my initial interview.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Re: Commission Struct. Continuously Changing

Commission structure must be done by way of agreement. For the unilateral change to happen is not acceptable, you should raise a grievance.