Posted by: Purple | 2009-07-15

comments from my son

Thanks as always for your response.

I will certainly try to find out whether these thoughts are related to anger or if they occur in a detached way. If that is the case, I will take him to a child psychologist for expert help.

Just so you know, my knives are indeed out of reach, however, at his age, he is quite able to get a chair there and can open all forms of kiddy locks and get to them. He' s reached a point where we let him cut up apples etc under supervision.
I removed all the child locks once he had figured out how they worked.

Thanks for your insight into the way children view parents, as I read it, I was able to think back to my childhood and definitely remember feeling like my parents were all powerful and knew everything.

This is the first really serious issue in my parenting journey and I' m feeling a bit out of my depth with it, but you have reassured me a lot.

Yes, I often think that kiddy locks are like those child-proof medicine containers --- rather more adult-proof, especially for aging adults, and if one asks the nearest child, they usually open them immediately.
Have you also noticed how, as you grow up, one day you realize that You have become one of Them, that You are now an adult --- and feel cheated that you discover They do NOT know everything and you're not all powerful ? I felt like demanding a re-fund !

Posted by: Purple | 2009-07-16

Thanks so much for your kind words Blue. I hope that my son and I too end up with the good relationship that you have with your children. I' m lucky to have a wonderful mother as an example. We are four children and still a very close family even though we live all around the globe - we just haven' t lost that closeness and need for each others and our mother and fathers advice and caring.

I am also having a good chuckle at CS wanting a refund for not knowing everything on becoming an adult. i feel like that all the time. I often also wish the real grown ups would come and sort things out as I constantly feel so lost.

Reply to Purple
Posted by: Blue | 2009-07-15

Hi Purple,
I also read your posting " Concerned about son' s comments"  and felt I had to say something. I think your son is one of the lucky ones to have such an understanding and caring mother - not overreacting in a situation but also concerned enough to not just put it down as fantasy or kid' s talk. The reason why I wanted to comment is because I see so much of myself in you. My " kids"  are 19 and 22 respectively and we have an open and honest relationship (which I’ ll never trade for anything!). We also had situations that we had to deal with over time, but the secret was always to deal with things as " normal"  as possible. I often ask myself, why I have been so fortunate to still have this type of relationship with my kids, while I see it to be very different in many other’ s. I know that part of it was and still is simple respect for each other I wish you all the luck in the world and do enjoy your little one. Time goes by like a dream!

Reply to Blue