Question
Posted by: Worried mum | 2011/11/17

COMMENTS FROM 8 YR OLD

My daughter is 8 yrs old and has ADHD. Lately a few times after I scolded her, she made comments whicg worries me. The comments were things like, " I''m a flop" , " I don''t belong in this world"  I honestly do not know whether it is something to be worried about or whether it''s just a kind of manipulation? I spoke to her about it and told her I scold her because I love her and I want her beautiful heart to shine on the outside as well. I explained to her that all children are naughty sometimes &  that if i did not scold her it would meand that I do not care what she does and do not love her.

Expert ImageBehaviour modification

Hi Worried mum. I am glad that you explained your reasons for disciplining your child to her in a way that she understands. ADHD aside, it seems you have a very sensitive child who needs to be assured of your love. Do what you can to build up her confidence. Don't ignore these comments rather ask her to explain to you what she means when she makes self depreciating comments. Explore what she is feeling and thinking when she is naughty and get her to come up with alternate behavior or actions rather than simply reprimanding her. Although she must understand that behavior has consequences, focus on building your bond and her confidence through constructive communication and reward when she does something well or makes amends.

1
Posted by: Behaviour modification | 2011/11/18

Reply to Behaviour modification