Question
Posted by: Pop | 2010-02-17

Comment on diet please?

I hope you don' t mind reviewing and commenting on this weightloss diet I " designed" . I' ve been of a stable weight for 15 years but have gained about 5kg. I put together an eating plan which fits in with my schedule, facilities at work and which isn' t too punishing.
As background: I work in front of the computer all day and (in my normal weight days) I used to snack on popcorn throughout the day. It also helps because I' m a smoker! Plus: I refuse to give up a few cups of coffee with milk.

I would just like to know whether my diet will help me to lose weight + whether it is more or less healthy.

So, here goes!

Breakfast:
Fruit salad and low-fat yoghurt/better still: Bulgarian yoghurt
You are allowed to sprinkle a few nuts over it

Lunch:
Microwaved potato or rivitas or crackerbread + fat-free cottage cheese (low-fat will be okay, unless it is more than 3g fat/100g). You can sprinkle a tiny bit of biltong on it for taste. And salad.

OR
Microwaved potato topped with ratatouille (perhaps also grated cheese for the protein?)

OR
Tuna salad made up of tuna (in brine), fruit and/or veg (no salad dressing). (It will probably be tuna, tomato, cucumber, apple and a carrot)
1 slice wholewheat bread / provitas

OR
Two boiled eggs and salad (not more than 3x/week)
1 slice wholewheat bread/provitas

Supper:
Chicken (no skin) / fish + veg and/or salad
Meat (all fat removed) can be eaten twice/week

In-between snacks:
Popcorn –  no butter  no salt  no flavouring
2 Fruit
Carrots, cucumber, celery

Drinks:
Max 4 cups of tea/coffee with low-fat milk, no sugar
Plenty of water (tap, mineral, flavoured water)
Max 2 glasses fruit juice
Max 2 glasses diet drink e.g. TAB

Supplements:
Multivitamins
Omega 3 (I have a family history of mood disorders)
Calcium and magnesium? (I' m a 46-year-old woman)

I would REALLY appreciate it!

Dear Pop
Well done! your diet looks very reasonable and provided you have a total of 3 servings of low-fat or fat-free milk, yoghurt or cottage cheese a day to provide sufficient calcium then you should not develop deficiencies and also lose weight. You may need to dilute the fruit juice with 50% water because fruit juice is relatively high in energy, for example apple juice contains 222 kJ per 100 ml, so a glass of 300 ml would provide 666 kJ which represents about 11% of your daily energy intake when you are slimming. Also be careful not to eat too much popcorn because plain unbuttered popcorn contains 1908 kJ/100g (454 cal or 30% of the daily energy intake for an adult woman who is trying to lose weight), or 572 kJ/30 g portion (136 kcal/30g), which represents about 9% of the daily energy for an adult woman on a slimming regimen. Eat popcorn in moderation as a low-fat snack, but don't overdo things as any food when eaten in excess can cause weight gain.
Good luck with the diet

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-17

Dear Pop
Good luck with the diet