Question
Posted by: dw | 2011/03/01

coming off the Pill

Hi Doc, I have been on Diane 35 / Minerva for the last 16 years. I am recently getting really bad headaches and seem to be spotting a lot. I have decided to come off the pill as I will be 40 this year. What will the side effects be? And will the risk of pregnancy be high? Thanking you in advance.

You may have some side effects such as sore breasts and your periods may take a few months to normalise. Periods are often lighter and less painful on the Pill, so this may change off the Pill. At 40 years, you have a good chance of falling pregnant if you use no contraception.

1