Question
Posted by: Kevin | 2012-04-26

Coming off meds (Valdoxane)

After suffering a " breakdown"  at work recently I was admitted to a private psychiatric hospital for the weeekend. When I was discharged the pyschiatrist gave me a scrpit for Valdoxane. (I have been on Zoloft in the past.) I believe I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder (and not depression!) I am not convinced - and nor is my psychologist - that I am on the correct medication. I made an appointment to see the hospital psychiatrist for a follow-up discussion. I arrived at 12 noon (the agreed time for the appointment.) At 1 pm I left, as he had not arrived at the rooms yet - "  he is delayed , but is on his way"  is all we could get from his receptionist! I have made an appointment with another psychiatrist now - one recommended by my psychologist. But I can only see her in 3 weeks time.

My question is: Can I just stop taking the Valdoxane (I have been on it for 4 weeks now), and take no meds until I see the new psychiatrist? What is your recommendation?

I can't imagine how your PSYCHOLOGIST would imagine they knew enough about medicines to criticize the decisions of a psychiatrist as to your prescription. Its not clear from your story what dose of Valdoxane you have been taking for the 4 weeks. It'd probably be OK to stop it, preferabl gradually, though any symptoms you might experience could well be from the continuing withdrawal of the Zoloft, rather than the Valdoxane which fares rather better in this respect. It should be as helpful for anxiety and depression as Zoloft was.
It sounds as though your psychologist wants to take over the case and control everything, encouraging you to leave your psychiatrist who should know you well having helped you to deal with the crisis - and steering you to a psychiatrist he/she prefers. I don't like the sound of this.

2
Posted by: James | 2012-05-07

The lowest qualification for a clinical psychologist is a Masters degree. They aren''t stupid. And they aren''t arrogant. They do know all about brain function and psych meds and they will refer clients for medication if necessary. They are usually opposed to psychosurgery and anti-psychotic -|- tails but that makes them compassionate, not idiots.
Are you young, male and fiery? Have you considered bilaterlal orchidectomy to improve impulse control? It might work.

How about posting a nice polite apology?

Reply to James