Question
Posted by: fennula | 2011/02/16

comfort zone

I have realised that I spend 99 percent of my time in my comfort zone, in situations or pursuits that make me feel happy, comfortable, relaxed, able to be myself. I used to think that this was a good thing, but there''s all this talk about getting out of your comfort zone these days. There are a few things I can''t avoid which are not in my comfort zone and they make me get a knot in my stomach, sweaty, or just feeling nervous and self=conscious. It has always been like this. So what do I do?

Whatever there's loads of talk about, is usually tosh. And too much focus on the simplistic concept of "comfort zones" is one of them. If there are things important for your work and personal growth which make you feel anxious and stressed, maybe counseling can help you to handle these more confidently, and this would benefit you. There's no advantage in just seeking out DIScomfort zones, and taking on bungee jumping just because it makes you anxious.

2
Posted by: Purple | 2011/02/17

I like being in a comfort zone. I like having a calm home, a nice job and nice friends and doing hobbies that interst me and are comfortable.

If something then gets uncomfortable, then I''m motivated to get the equilibrium back and find a new comfort zone.

I think all the talk of moving out of comfort zones is mainly used in training for sales people who like to feel they are always pushing boundries etc - but doing that is actually just what their comfort zone is (in my opinion).

Reply to Purple